Commenced in January 2007
Paper Count: 31106
Prediction of Reusability of Object Oriented Software Systems using Clustering Approach
Abstract:In literature, there are metrics for identifying the quality of reusable components but the framework that makes use of these metrics to precisely predict reusability of software components is still need to be worked out. These reusability metrics if identified in the design phase or even in the coding phase can help us to reduce the rework by improving quality of reuse of the software component and hence improve the productivity due to probabilistic increase in the reuse level. As CK metric suit is most widely used metrics for extraction of structural features of an object oriented (OO) software; So, in this study, tuned CK metric suit i.e. WMC, DIT, NOC, CBO and LCOM, is used to obtain the structural analysis of OO-based software components. An algorithm has been proposed in which the inputs can be given to K-Means Clustering system in form of tuned values of the OO software component and decision tree is formed for the 10-fold cross validation of data to evaluate the in terms of linguistic reusability value of the component. The developed reusability model has produced high precision results as desired.
Digital Object Identifier (DOI): doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1074887Procedia APA BibTeX Chicago EndNote Harvard JSON MLA RIS XML ISO 690 PDF Downloads 1631
 1. Gill, Nasib S., "Importance of Software Component Characterization for Better Software Reusability", ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, vol. 31 No. 1, Jan 2006, pp. 1-3.
 2. Chidamber, S.R. and Kemerer, C.F., "A Metric Suite for Object Oriented Design", IEEE Trans. Software Eng., vol. 20, 1994, pp. 476- 493.
 3. Chidamber, S.R. and Kemerer, C.F., "Towards a Metrics Suite for Object Oriented Design", Proceedings Conference Object Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA-91), vol. 26, no. 11, 1991, pp. 197-211.
 4. Parvinder Singh Sandhu and Hardeep Singh, "Software Reusability Model for Procedure Based Domain-Specific Software Components", International Journal of Software Engineering & Knowledge Engineering (IJSEKE), Vol. 18, No. 7, 2008, pp. 1-19.
 5. Parvinder S. Sandhu, Parwinder Pal Singh,hardeep Singh, "Reusability Evaluation With Machine Learning Techniques", WSEAS TRANSACTIONS on COMPUTERS, issue 9, Volume 6, September 2007, pp. 1065-1076.
 6. Parvinder Singh Sandhu and Hardeep Singh, "A Reusability Evaluation Model for OO-Based Software Components", International Journal of Computer Science, vol. 1, no. 4, 2006, pp. 259-264.
 7. Parvinder Singh Sandhu and Hardeep Singh, "Automatic Quality Appraisal of Domain-Specific Reusable Software Components", Journal of Electronics & Computer Science, vol. 8, no. 1, June 2006, pp. 1-8.
 8. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_and_recall
 9. Challagulla, V.U.B. , Bastani, F.B. , I-Ling Yen , Paul,( 2005) "Empirical assessment of machine learning based software defect prediction techniques", 10th IEEE International Workshop on Object- Oriented Real-Time Dependable Systems, WORDS 2005, 2-4 Feb 2005, pp. 263-270.