Adeyemi

Abstracts

2 Fish Species Composition and Distribution of a Semi-Oxbow Lake in North Central Nigeria

Authors: Adeyemi, Samuel Olusegun

Abstract:

The paper reports on the result of experimental gill net assessment of the fishery of Gbedikere Lake in Kogi State between October 2006 and September 2008. Three stations A-C were sampled. Twelve species from ten families were represented in the experimental gill-net catches. These composed of families Protopteridae, Mormyridae, Clariidae, Mochokidae, Cichlidae, Cyprinidae, Malapteruridae, Osteoglossidae, Gymnarchidae, and Citharinidae. The Cichlids dominated the catches. This is made up of Oreochromis niloticus (17.90%), and Tilapia zilli (13.01%). These combined to make up 30.91% of the total number of fish caught. Also, the Cichlids formed 30.91% of the total catch by weight followed Heterotis niloticus (15.56%), Clarias gariepinus (13.16%), Gmynarchus niloticus (8.78%), Heterobranchus bidorsalis (7.14%), Synodontis nigrita (6.69%), Mormyrus rume (5.68%), Citharinus citharus (3.91%), Labeo senegalensis (2.93%), and Protopterus annectens (2.74%), respectively.

Keywords: Distribution, Species Diversity, abundance, experimental gill net, Oxbow Lake and yield

Procedia PDF Downloads 336
1 Biometrics and Dietary Studies of Citharinus citharus in the Lower Niger River in Kogi State, Nigeria

Authors: Adeyemi, Samuel Olusegun

Abstract:

Biometrics and dietary habit of Citharinus citharus in the lower Niger River area of kogi state were studied between October and December, 2010. A total of 120 fish sampled were used for the study. The total length, standard length and weight were taken for each fish sample for the estimations of length-weight relationship using the formula W = aLb and transformed to Log W = Log a + b Log L. Stomach contents were analyzed by frequency of occurrence method. The standard length of males, females and combined sexes ranged between 6.8 - 16.5, 7.3 – 14.3 cm, 6.8 – 74.2 (cm) respectively, with b – values of 3.0963, 3.174 and 3.1382. The condition factor ranged from 2.04 – 2.80, 1.88 – 2.86 and 1.88 – 2.86 respectively. The food and feeding habits shows that the fish feeds mainly sand grain (25.83%), mud (24.16%), plant parts (12.50%), insect part (2.50%), algae (12.50%) and unidentified items (5.00%). C. citharus in the lower Niger area of kogi state could be termed to an omnivore. River Niger could be said to be suitable for growth and survival of the fish species C. citharus.

Keywords: plant materials, stomach content, length-weight, sexes, feeding habits

Procedia PDF Downloads 366